“Sigh! If only I could be as skinny as her!”
“I would look better in this dress if i were slimmer right?”
Weight management might come easy for some, but for others, it can prove to be an incredibly uphill task.
Those who struggle with weight management issues like obesity might find themselves in distress, battling low self-esteem while dealing with complications including lifestyle diseases like high blood pressure and diabetes.
The world we live in makes living a sedentary lifestyle easy. Most people work at desks and computers all day and then come home and sit in front of the TV all evening before going to bed.
This lack of physical activity contributes to the obesity epidemic that is evident across the world. It is therefore important that one begin working out and build up to more strenuous exercise for the sake of their health.
Weight loss is a combination of healthy eating in the right portions, and living an active lifestyle. Unfortunately, processed foods, carbohydrates and sugar tend to be addictive.
As such, some people find it very difficult to stop walking down the slippery slope of obesity without help.
Obesity is a serious health issue, and can be life threatening in some cases. In light of this, one might consider going for a bariatric surgery. Bariatric surgery is a great help to such people and goes a long way in alleviating conditions caused by obesity.
Bariatric surgery is an operation that aids in weight loss as it restricts the amount of food your stomach can hold by making changes to your digestive system.
In Singapore, candidates are deemed suitable for some bariatric intervention when they attain a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 37.5 without any other complications.
They are also suitable if they have attained a BMI of 32.5 and also have other conditions associated with weight gain. These conditions include hyperlipidemia, obstructive sleep apnea, high blood pressure and diabetes.
There are 4 options to bariatric surgery that are very popular in Singapore today:
1. Sleeve Gastrostomy: This involves cutting off some of the stomach to make it small. It reduces food intake and appetite too.
2. Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass: Here, the stomach is reduced to the size of one’s thumb, resulting in less food intake.
3. Biliopancreatic Diversion With Duodenal Switch: Again, the stomach is reduced in size and one’s middle intestines are then attached to his or her duodenum to reduce absorption. This double effect makes it a very effective weight loss method.
4. Gastric Banding: A band is placed around the top part of one’s stomach to create a pouch. This reduces ones food intake. Appetite also reduces with this band and that leads to weight loss.
1. History Of Weight And Nutrition: Your weight trends will be reviewed. These include your eating habits, whether or not you exercise, attempts at dieting and weight loss, your stress levels, how motivated you are to lose the weight and keep it off, time constraints, among other factors.
2. Your Health Condition: This is important because there are some health conditions that will increase the risks that are associated with bariatric surgery. If someone has liver disease, blood clots, heart problems, nutritional deficiencies or kidney stones, it may not be possible to carry out the surgery. Other factors such as whether you drink alcohol and how much, as well as whether you smoke are taken into consideration. Lab tests as well as a physical exam are also be carried out. A sleep apnea evaluation must also be carried out before one can be given the green light for surgery.
3. Psychological Health: Mental health conditions can contribute to one being morbidly overweight and that can reverse the effects of bariatric surgery. Thus, one must be reviewed beforehand. Major depression, severe bipolar disorder, binge-eating, anxiety, substance abuse, childhood sexual abuse and others are just some of the factors that may make it difficult for one to maintain their ideal weight. This is not to say that you wouldn’t get the surgery, but measures will need to be put in place to help you succeed.
4. Age: In the past, some bariatric procedures were not recommended for the elderly or teenagers. However, today if one has a BMI of more than 35 and has health problems related to obesity, they can get the surgery. Teenagers must have gotten through puberty before the surgery can be done.
5. Motivation: Anyone undergoing this surgery must be willing and able to follow the doctor’s recommendations. You will be required to carry out some changes on your exercise routine and diet.
This is probably the question that most of us have and are going to consider before going ahead with the surgery.
On average, subsidies bariatric surgeries cost between S$6,000 – S$10,000. Those without subsidies can cost up to S$20,000.
This is clearly not money that most of us would have lying around. This is where a weight loss loan can come in handy.
Weight loss loans are a form of personal loan which lenders have personalised to meet your weight loss needs. Therefore, a weight loss loan functions in pretty much the same way as a personal loan.
That said, before you enter into a loan agreement with a licensed lender, be sure that the following points are checked.
Once you have found several legitimate lenders, be sure to consider what they are offering before you pick one. Remember that the loan must be ideal for you. If there is something that you are not comfortable with, be sure to ask and be ready to walk away from a deal if you are not happy with it.
Carry out loan comparisons; looking at interest rates, loan tenure, monthly repayments, fees and everything else that is important to you. Only settle for a loan when you are completely happy with it. Understand that you will have to first meet their eligibility requirements, so look at those first so that you are not comparing loans for which you do not qualify.
The pros of applying for a weight loss loan with 1AP Capital is that there is no minimum salary requirement imposed on you. As long as you’re able to prove that you’re currently holding a job and have a stable source of income, you’ll more or less be approved for the loan. Moreover, our flexible repayment schedules are specifically tailored just to suit your weight loss needs.
With our low interest rates and flexible repayment schedules, applying for a weight loss loan with 1AP Capital can be a timely and reliable source of financial help for your bariatric procedure. Alternatively, you can also speak to us to find out more about our weight loss loan!